The newspapers in today's society have changed dramatically since 1752. A dramatic change that I took notice while reading the articles, was the size of America's and Canada's first paper to the size of the paper today. America's first paper had only four pages, three with written material and one blank page for other people to write their news. I find this interesting because not only did this mean that they were short in paper but they were also short in copies of the paper. People would pass on the newspaper to one another and they could read news that others wrote on the blank page. On the other hand, Canada's first newspaper had only two pages filled with news from all across the world. In today's society the newspaper has multiple pages and sections, with no real number of pages to work with.
I do not agree with the government having such control over the provided news that newspapers give us, whether they are being critical to the goverment or not. I believe this because news is released about everyone else is society and because goverment is such a huge deal in the world today, it only makes sense that there is something to be written about them too. Writers have only good intentions and are only providing the audience with true facts so they will be aware of what is going on around them.
I was shocked when I read that the first newspaper was written in Halifax, I would have never expected that such an important item, that is now issued all over the world would have came from such a small city that is fairly close to us. If i had of guessed where Canada's first newspaper came from, I would have guessed a larger city such as Toronto or Ottawa. To me it seems like these bigger cities have more of an impact on the world than a small city like Halifax.
In conclusion I think that newspapers have set a great example on the world today. It influences people to read and write, and because of the newspaper people are able to read about what is new in the world and in their own community. It's weird to think that a two to four paged newspaper has grown so much and has become a daily activity to read the paper in many people's lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment