Monday, November 15, 2010

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool" - Stephen King

I have never read or watched anything that I thought was incorrect. I would believe anything advertised in newspapers or on the news because they are trusted sources.

I was shocked when reading that journalists have fabricated news. I don't think it should be as surprising as it is though, because journalists know that if people depends on their news then they will believe anything and everything.

I agree with Jack Shafer when he says "most liars make things up for the simple reason that they don't have the talent or the ability to get the story any other way." I agree with him because it is obvious that if a journalist cannot make a story up with correct news and facts than they do not have the ability to write. By making up false information they are not capable of what it takes to be a successful journalist.

I believe that colleges and universities should focus more on journalism students because of the fact that some of them do make up false information once they get into the career. I don't think that it should all be put on the schools but also the people who hire too. They should take a closer look at their resumes and maybe question them more, or give them a task to do before actually hiring them.

I think a news ombudsman would be very helpful because they would be able to investigate the situation more so than people in the work place. Because an ombudsman's responsibility is to respond to reader's complaints, they would be focused only on the job rather than someone who would have one or two other things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment